Monday, February 17, 2020

Romance, Family, and Skis

They say variety is the spice of life - and we've certainly been following this maxim in February! After filling our January weekends with family adventures in the Big Apple, we opted for some different activities this month. 

We started February off with a bang by teaching Lana to ski at a local resort. I couldn't ski myself, but watching and teaching was super-rewarding. Seth also brought his little brother, another first-time skier. We certainly had our hands full teaching both kids the basics. 


The following day, my parents took us out for a belated Seth birthday brunch at The Whitlock in Katonah, which was soooo delicious. After the restaurant, we returned home to watch the Super Bowl. Seth had made a wonderful chili recipe, but we were all too stuffed to eat very much of it! 


The next weekend we took a short trip to the Berkshires, where the leadership team of the nonprofit I work for was having a long-overdue retreat. One of our members even flew in from Ukraine! We enjoyed delicious food and productive discussions. Meanwhile, Seth took Lana to explore a children's museum nearby and go ice skating. We stayed in a charming little New England-style house and enjoyed the storybook snowy surroundings. 



Then, before we knew it, it was Valentine's Day, which fell right at the start of Presidents' Day weekend this year. For us, Valentine's Day isn't just a cheesy Hallmark holiday - it's our anniversary :) 2020 marks 13 years together.

To avoid the weekend craziness, we went out on Wednesday night to Cafe Carlyle, a cabaret-style venue that serves dinner and hosts various performers in a super-intimate space. We saw Broadway actress Stephanie Block, who sang various love-themed songs and even brought her husband up on stage for a duet! For some reason, I always end up having bad luck / experiencing misadventures when going about my life, but this night was an exception. We had no issues driving there or back, we got the best table in the entire room, the food was delicious, and the experience was overall incredibly romantic and special.



On Valentine's Day itself, I brought Lana over to my parents' for the weekend and enjoyed a delicious lunch with my family. That evening, Seth and I did our traditional indoor picnic (yummy meats and cheeses, strawberries, and gourmet chocolates Seth got me from Houston). We watched The Dressmaker, which is not quite a romantic film, but certainly an excellent one. 


For the rest of the weekend, we tried to be responsible and take care of some household tasks, but we also found time for a quick trip to the city to do some museum hopping. We saw a couple of amazing fashion exhibits, had lunch (valiantly avoiding the temptations of dessert), and strolled across the park. 

It's funny to consider that, a couple of months ago, I was telling Seth about the many dreary winter weekends that would await us when the holidays ended. "However shall we fill the time?" I fretted. Well, it looks like we didn't have much trouble!

Alas, I do not envision the next couple of months to be as adventurous - I am officially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy and I am definitely feeling it. Sundry aches and pains are foiling my adventurous plans, and energy levels are dropping. My bump is getting quite big, which makes me very glad I did a professional maternity photo shoot last week, when it was still relatively cute and compact! But, even if these last months of pregnancy are rather low-key, I do have some exciting things to look forward to, such as my baby shower (more details on that later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment